Ambulance Victoria have recently introduced the use of Intranasal Ketamine as an avenue for pain management, and as a replacement for Intranasal Fentanyl.
In 2019, approximately 60 paramedics in East Gippsland experienced Ambulance Victoria's botched investigation into Ketamine exposure. The mishandling of the investigation included:
- More than 60 paramedics in the region undergoing mismanaged and brutal hair testing
- Some paramedics being stood down based on questionable hair test results and assumed guilty until proven innocent
- Extreme stress and distress to all affected
- Up to twelve (12) month investigations that resulted in unreasonable warnings to paramedics whose tests indicated ketamine exposure was occupational had NOT been ingested
The risk of occupational exposure as a result of the new Ketamine delivery method has increased by 10 - 20 times, yet AV are maintaining their policy of zero tolerance. The additional risk means that steps must be taken.
The AEAV have written to AV demanding a new approach. A copy of our letter is available below.